Location and Availability
Sitting at the corner of Central and Lafayette in the shadow of the Pink Palace, Saint John's Cemetery is a beautiful space nestled in the heart of Memphis. Large crape myrtles and towering oaks cover the landscape, and red brick walls provide a backdrop for this restful setting.
Are you looking for more information? Request a walkthrough tour(stephen [at] stjohnsmemphis [dot] org).
Saint John's Cemetery offers both inground lots and columbarium niches. There are single depth lots and double depth lots available, the latter offering significant savings. All inground lots have concrete vaults already installed, which further reduces the price for lots, compared with other cemeteries in the area. Purchase of inground interment rights includes the preinstalled vault and opening/closing expenses. Niches are also available in the columbarium, which are appropriate for cremains and provide a simple, smaller scale option. Perpetual care and beauty of the cemetery grounds and lots are assured by a permanent trust.
Sale of lots is open to all Episcopalians. We currently house family lots from across the Diocese of West Tennessee and beyond. As we consider those from our parish who have gone to God, it can be comforting to know we have a calm, sacred space to commemorate them together in community, so near to the church.
Contact the Cemetery Director, Stephen Nelson, at 323-8597 ext. 17 or via email(stephen [at] stjohnsmemphis [dot] org).
Saint John's Cemetery began sometime during the decade of the 1870's as a small Baptist cemetery. When the Baptist church moved farther east some years later, they abandoned the cemetery. Saint John's purchased the cemetery on December 7, 1979. In 1982 Saint John's completely restored the beautiful wooded grounds, built a brick wall and wrought iron fence around the entire cemetery, constructed a wrought iron gazebo on the grounds, and cleaned and re-set the historical markers dating back to veterans of the Civil War. The earliest burial that can be identified by existing markers in the cemetery is that of William Lee Lowery, eight-year-old "son of W. B. and S. E. Lowery," who died September 12, 1877. Today, Saint John's Episcopal Cemetery is beautifully landscaped with towering oaks, flowering shrubs and seasonal flowers.
All Souls' Day Services
Each year, on All Souls’ Day, the clergy hold a memorial service on the cemetery grounds for all those who have died in the previous year and before, as requested by their families. To have a family member’s name read at this service, contact the Cemetery Director at the number listed above.