bird logomark

Saint John's Cemetery began sometime during the decade of the 1870's as a small Baptist cemetery. When the Baptist church moved farther east some years later, they abandoned the cemetery. Saint John's purchased the cemetery on December 7, 1979. In 1982 Saint John's completely restored the beautiful wooded grounds, built a brick wall and wrought iron fence around the entire cemetery, constructed a wrought iron gazebo on the grounds, and cleaned and re-set the historical markers dating back to veterans of the Civil War. The earliest burial that can be identified by existing markers in the cemetery is that of William Lee Lowery, eight-year-old "son of W. B. and S. E. Lowery," who died September 12, 1877. Today, Saint John's Episcopal Cemetery is beautifully landscaped with towering oaks, flowering shrubs and seasonal flowers.