Saint John's & HUB Studios
On November 9th, 2021, our Outreach Committee led by Sissie Griffin, Mother Miranda Cully, and Deacon Debbie McCanless presented a gift of $22,000 to Kelcey Johnson, Executive Director of the Hospitality HUB of Memphis. This gift will provide one unit of the HUB's newest initiative for stabilizing emergency housing for the homeless: The HUB Studios.
There has long been a profound need for non-congregate shelter and individualized spaces; safe from the street and safe from large gatherings and communal settings. The HUB Studios fill that need. These one-bedroom studio houses were designed through a trauma-sensitive lens to create a calming and soothing environment for those who are easily triggered or have experienced trauma in their lives, PTSD, or mental illness. These small living spaces are a practical shelter solution for the HUB to transition the homeless into rapid rehousing and permanent supportive housing.
Learn more about the HUB Studios here:
Outreach Grant Request for 2022
We are currently reviewing grant applications for outreach funds that are available for distribution in May 2022. Please complete the attached application and return by email to debbie [at] stjohnsmemphis [dot] org or by mail to St. John’s Episcopal Church, attn: the Rev. Debbie McCanless, 3245 Central Ave, Memphis, TN 38111 before January 31, 2022.
Mission and Vision of Outreach
Outreach grows from our baptismal promise to "seek and serve Christ in all persons" and to "respect the dignity of every human being." We must answer God’s call to action and work to spread his joy and love with gratitude, becoming the hands and feet of Christ in the world.
Our vision for Outreach is driven by eight core ideals that guide where we commend our volunteers' time and energy. These ideals also guide our financial support, so that we create harmony and focus in our work. In other words, we wholeheartedly support a targeted investment of ongoing Christian service in both volunteers and financial support to promote the greatest impact.
On the left side of this page, you can navigate to each of our subpages, where we provide details on the ministries we currently support, opportunities to serve, and a point person for each one. They are grouped into larger categories: Children in Need, Food for the Hungry, and Hospitality & Shelter. Continue reading below to review our core ideals.
- Prioritize organizations that offer direct service.
Parishioner Hands-on Involvement
- When we say we want to serve as the hands and feet of Christ in the world, we mean it! We choose to commit time and money to organizations that place our parishioners directly into the work.
Opportunities to Work Together
- Prioritize two-way relationships and working together to promote the dignity of "Christ in all persons," rather than "drop-off" or "give and receive" relationships which foster dependency and separation.
Movement of the Holy Spirit
- Does the organization or ministry have clear signs of the Holy One moving through it? We prioritize such ministries to help maximize our impact and team-up with God.
- Focus first on local ministries, especially those near Saint John's, both in time given and money granted. Then branch out into city-wide partnerships and beyond.
Impact of Contribution
- What effect will a gift of time and money from STJ have on the organization? Will it be a small donation for a well-established fundraising machine or a difference maker that enables an important ministry to blossom?
- Organizations we support need to have an established accountability structure and transparent use of funds. This is not exclusive to large-scale, corporate non-profits, but we seek to avoid those groups which do not demonstrate good stewardship of their resources.
- Some needs we encounter are truly emergencies and merit direct intervention on a short term basis. This includes individual emergencies and disaster relief. However, such assistance is given careful consideration and not available to walk-in requests.