GUIDELINES FOR WEDDINGS AT SAINT JOHN'S
A wedding is a joyous and holy occasion. In the Episcopal Church, we believe marriage to be a solemn and public covenant between a man and a woman in the presence of God. If you are interested in celebrating your marriage ceremony at Saint John's, please read the guidelines below concerning our expectations and requirements. Then contact Kristin in the church office: (901) 323-8597 or email kristin [at] stjohnsmemphis [dot] org
The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage is a service of worship for the Church and a sacrament, just as are Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Communion. The following guidelines apply:
- At least one member of the couple must be a baptized Christian.
- At least one member of the couple must be a member of Saint John's or the child of a member.
- At least two witnesses must be present.
- The couple must have been prepared by a suitable premarital counseling program.
- Barring emergency circumstances of a parishioner well known to him, the priest acting as officiant requires at least six months notice prior to the wedding.
- All laws of the state of Tennessee must be honored.
- If either party to the proposed marriage has ever been married, the priest may not proceed with a wedding without the written consent of the Bishop of West Tennessee. This may take up to 30 days.